The North Dakota Department of Health, Division of Vital Records is no longer accepting walk-in visitors, effective March 19, 2020 in accordance with public health guidelines to slow the spread of the coronavirus. We are still accepting orders for birth and death records online and through the regular mail.
The Division of Vital Records is located in room 118 of the Judicial Wing of the State Capitol in Bismarck, North Dakota.
Our walk-in customer hours are 7:30a - 4:45p, Monday through Friday, except for state holidays. Walk-in customers can usually get their certified copies within a few minutes after providing photo ID and filling out the proper request form in our office.
If you are planning to visit our office to request certified copies, please remember to bring a copy of your Photo ID with you. Without a valid form of identification, we will be unable to process your request.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
You must have one of the following forms of primary identification when visiting our office and the identification CANNOT be EXPIRED!
- State Government issued Photo ID or Driver's License
- Bureau of Indian Affairs issued tribal ID card
- U.S. Government issued Military ID card
- U.S. Government issued Passport or Visa
- U.S. Government issued Permanent Resident Card
If you do not have one of the prior primary forms of identification, you must provide a legible photocopy of two of the following:
- Social Security Card
- Utility bill with current address (no more than 3 months old)
- Bank statement with current address (no more than 3 months old)
- Pay stub (must include your name, SSN, name and address of your employer)
- Vehicle registration with current address (for the current registration year)
- IRS Tax Return (from the prior year)
ALERT: Requests for genealogy copies (photocopies of the original paper record) cannot be guaranteed immediate service due to the time required to prepare these copies. Clients will be given the option of having the copies mailed to them or our staff will phone the client when the copies are ready to be picked up.