How do I update my birth record after I have a court ordered name change?
If you or your child was born in North Dakota and you are wanting your name updated on the birth record following a name change, you will need to provide our office with the following:
- Certified copy of the Court Order changing you or your child's name.
- Certified copy of the court's Confidential Information Form, if one was created.
- Dated/Signed letter from you requesting our office update you or your child's birth record based on the court order.
- The $15 amendment fee, made payable to the: North Dakota Department of Health.
- A legible, non-expired, copy of your photo ID.
If you would like an updated certified copy of your birth record following the name change, you will also need to submit a Request for a Certified Copy of a Birth Record (SFN 8140), along with an additional $15 per copy requested.
Do I need to update my birth record after I get married?
No. If your name changes as a result of marriage, you should not update your birth record. A certified copy of your marriage record along with your birth record should explain to any agency how your name was changed.