Court Order Name Change


How do I update my birth record after I have a court ordered name change?

If you or your child was born in North Dakota and you are wanting your name updated on the birth record following a name change, you will need to provide our office with the following:

  1. Certified copy of the Court Order changing you or your child's name.
  2. Certified copy of the court's Confidential Information Form, if one was created.
  3. Dated/Signed letter from you requesting our office update you or your child's birth record based on the court order.
  4. The $15 amendment fee, made payable to the: North Dakota Department of Health.
  5. A legible, non-expired, copy of your photo ID.

If you would like an updated certified copy of your birth record following the name change, you will also need to submit a Request for a Certified Copy of a Birth Record (SFN 8140), along with an additional $15 per copy requested.


Do I need to update my birth record after I get married?

No.  If your name changes as a result of marriage, you should not update your birth record.  A certified copy of your marriage record along with your birth record should explain to any agency how your name was changed.