Travel Information for North Dakota Travelers
NOTE: It is the traveler's responsibility to identify requirements related to their travel, as travel requirements (type of test needed [PCR or Rapid Antigen], specific collection, needed documentation of COVID-19 test, vaccination, etc.) differ by destination and carrier. Also, make sure you are informed about what you need to return. The North Dakota Department of Health is not aware of what options are available at your destination to meet U.S., carrier, or other destination requirements.
- Are you about to travel?
- Are you currently traveling out of North Dakota?
- Are you traveling into (or coming back to) North Dakota?
- Are you a migrant worker?
*Please allow up to 72 hours to get test results from the North Dakota State Lab. Time starts once the specimen arrives at the lab, not at the time of collection. Test results times may vary depending on location and courier routes. If you were tested at a private testing facility, contact them for your results.
Are you about to travel?
The Result Hotline for Rapid Antigen test results is 701-204-6664, available Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 9:00pm and Saturday from 8:00am to 5:00pm if an individual needs a BinaxNow result or result copy or needs other assistance.
If you are traveling out of North Dakota and need to be tested for COVID-19, contact a community testing event, a local public health unit, a federally qualified health center, or a pharmacy that provides testing. At your testing site, please tell the staff that you are testing for travel purposes and what type of test you require for your destination. Disclosing you are a traveler does not prioritize or rush your result; it allows us to more easily track your sample to provide you with your result as soon as it is available.
- If you need a copy of the ND State Lab's CLIA certificate, please click here.
- If you need proof of your "release of isolation" or "documentation of recovery" for travel, please fill out the travel survey.
- If you need proof of your vaccine received in ND, please click here.
Are you currently traveling out of North Dakota?
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others around you.
- Practice social distancing when possible.
- Wash your hands often.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Make sure you are informed about what you need to return. The North Dakota Department of Health is not aware of what options are available at your destination to meet U.S., carrier, or other destination requirements.
Are you traveling into North Dakota?
NOTE: Make sure you are informed about what you need to return to the United States. The North Dakota Department of Health is not aware of what options are available at your destination to meet U.S., carrier, or destination requirements.
Arriving back to North Dakota
The state of North Dakota recommends following CDC guidance:
Fully Vaccinated individuals follow CDC links:
International travel: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html
After travel information for unvaccinated people:
- Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel AND stay home and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel.
- If you don't get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel.
- Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
- If your test is positive or you have symptoms of COVID-19, isolate yourself from other and follow North Dakota Department of Health recommendations.
ND has no additional recommendations or requirement. Click here to see existing State Health Officer Orders.
Other Helpful Links
- When to Delay Travel
- After You Travel
- Travel Health Notices
- Travel Recommendations by Destination
- Travel FAQs
- Travelers Prohibited from Entry into the United States
- Cruise Ship Travel