A certified copy of a fetal death record (or birth resulting in stillbirth) may only be requested by a parent named on the record, an authorized representative or by an order from a court of competent jurisdiction.


Do I need any identification to make a request?

Yes. You must submit one of the following forms of primary identification with your request. The identification CANNOT be EXPIRED!

  1. State Government issued Photo ID or Driver's License
  2. Bureau of Indian Affairs issued tribal ID card
  3. U.S. Government issued Military ID card
  4. U.S. Government issued Passport or Visa
  5. U.S. Government issued Permanent Resident Card

If you do not have one of the prior primary forms of identification, you must provide a legible photocopy of two of the following:

  1. Social Security Card
  2. Utility bill with current address (no more than 3 months old)
  3. Bank statement with current address (no more than 3 months old)
  4. Pay stub (must include your name, SSN, name and address of your employer)
  5. Vehicle registration with current address (for the current registration year)
  6. IRS Tax Return (from the prior year)

If you cannot provide any of these forms of identification or if you have any other questions related to these requirements, please call our office at (701) 328-2360 or contact us by e-mail at


How do I apply for a Fetal Death Record by Mail?

  1. Complete the fetal death request application form.
  2. Include a check or money order made out to the "North Dakota Department of Health" for all required fees.
  3. Include primary or secondary forms of identification.
  4. Mail form, fees and identification to:

         Division of Vital Records

         600 E. Boulevard Ave., Dept. 301

         Bismarck, ND 58505


How do I apply for a Birth Resulting in Stillbirth?

In North Dakota, these events are known as Fetal Deaths.  However, they can also be called Births Resulting in Stillbirth.  Both terms reference the same vital event.  Our request form allows the customer to select which format will be issued.


How long does it take to get a fetal death record?

Once received in our office, copies are usually mailed in 3 to 5 business days (this does not include the return mail time).  Any received request that includes FedEx, UPS or USPS Priority Mail return shipping are processed the next business day for overnight shipping.


Can I Fax the application to Vital Records?

No.  The fax process is not a reliable or efficient way to send your request to our office.  If your need is urgent, then we suggest ordering your fetal death record using our secure web application, which is our fastest method of ordering records. 


Important Reminder for Parents of Stillborn Children

Parents who lose a baby to stillbirth (fetal death) and file a North Dakota income tax return are eligible for a one-time deduction in the year the stillbirth occurred. The deduction is adjusted annually for inflation and therefore may change from year to year. North Dakota identifies a birth resulting in stillbirth or fetal death as the unintended death of a baby at 20 or more weeks gestation.

Who is eligible for the deduction?

  1. Parents of a stillborn baby who would have been their dependent for federal income tax purposes. If they file separate return, only one of them may claim the deduction.
  2. The deduction is available to parents of stillborn babies born on or after January 1, 2017.

How is the deduction claimed?

  1. Parents must first obtain a Certification of Fetal Death (or Certification of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth) from the North Dakota Division of Vital Records.
  2. Claim the deduction on Schedule ND-1SA, a supplemental schedule to the North Dakota individual income tax return, Form ND-1.

Need tax forms or have questions?

If you need tax forms or have questions, go to the North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner’s website at or call toll free 1-877-328-7088. You may also send an email to the Individual Income Tax Section at

Other resources

For other resources, visit the North Dakota Infant and Child Death Services Program at or the Star Legacy Foundation at