Cottage Food Products
Cottage Food Act
During North Dakota's 65th legislative assembly (2017), House Bill 1433 was passed regarding direct producer to consumer sales of cottage food products and ND Cottage Foods Act became effective August 1, 2017.
The ND Cottage Foods Act allows for the sale of uninspected, homemade cottage food products to an informed, end consumer for at-home consumption. This provides new opportunities for small, start-up businesses and home-based operations without the need for license or inspection fees. While enriching a new market and making new food products available to citizens of our state, the health and safety of the consumers is something both health departments and the business owners know is vital. Below are a few great resources to help business owners ensure their Cottage Food products are of the highest quality.
- North Dakota Century Code 23-09.5 Cottage Food Production and Sales (ND Cottage Foods Act)
- Summary of Cottage Food Products handout
- Consumer Advisory Notice
Food Safety Recommendations and Resources
- Cottage Food Resources
- NEHA Policy Statement for Cottage Foods
- AFDO Regulatory Guidance for Best Practices
- Home Canning and Botulism