The North Dakota Oral Health Program has pulled together resources for health care professionals to address dental care access. These resources are intended for physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses and other direct-care providers in any clinical setting.
If you are interested in more information, resources, and best practices to support development and implementation of oral health programs in rural communities, access the Rural Oral Health Toolkit provided by the Rural Health Information Hub. The toolkit is made up of several modules. Each module concentrates on different aspects of oral health programs. Modules also include resources to use in developing a community program.
Free CE for Dental Teams and Other Healthcare Providers
Oral health and good dental hygiene are essential components of primary care and overall health. This teleECHO™ series is focused on providing local training and case presentations to assist dental teams in providing comprehensive care to members of our community and has been approved for dental CE. Learn more or register to attend one of the many clinics.
This teleECHO™ series occurred live in 2021 and now includes 11, one-hour, recorded trainings focused on building and strengthening capacity among primary care and other providers. These healthcare teams can improve oral health equity for underserved populations through screening, referral and varnish application. Learn more or watch one of the recordings.
Resources for Health Professionals
- Motivational Interviewing | Brief on how to guide patient-centered conversations to elicit and strengthen their motivation to change health behaviors.
- Fluoride Fact Sheet for Health Professionals | This reader-friendly fact sheet is intended to inform health professionals on the sources and recommended intakes for fluoride; provided by the National Institutes of Health.
- Brief on Medical-Dental Integration in North Dakota: An Evaluation (2020-2021) | This brief describes three years of medical dental integration in one family medical center in North Dakota.
- Blood Pressure Screening at Your Dental Office | This infographic shows the importance of checking a patient's blood pressure at a dental appointment.
Resources to Share with Patients and Clients
- Healthy Drinks, Healthy Kids | A project and website by Healthy Eating Research, a national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Healthy Beverage Consumption in Early Childhood | Factsheet on recommendations from Key National Health and Nutrition Organizations on healthy beverages.
- Rethink Your Drink | This poster promotes tap water for kids.
- Fluoride Vanish | Frequently Asked Questions: Factsheet.
- Fluoride Fact Sheet for Consumers | This reader-friendly fact sheet is intended to inform the public on what fluoride is, natural sources of fluoride, and why it is important; provided by the National Institutes of Health.
- Dental Sealants | This infographic illustrates why dental sealants are important for children’s oral health.
- Follow-Up for Hypertension | This infographic shows why high blood pressure can raise the risk of heart disease and stroke, why to follow up with a doctor, and tips for maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Protect Your Baby's Teeth and Gums | This infographic demonstrates the dos and don'ts of protecting your baby's teeth and gums.
- North Dakota Oral Health: Pre-Kindergarten | This infographic provides oral hygiene tips for children pre-kindergarten age.
- Promoting Healthy Smiles in Grades K-5 | This infographic provides dental hygiene tips for students in North Dakota in grades K-5.
- Protecting your Smile in Middle and High School | This infographic providers dental hygiene tips for students in North Dakota in grades 6-12.
- Protecting your Adult Smile | This infographic provides oral hygiene tips for adults in North Dakota.
- Taking Care of your Teeth in Later Life | This infographic providers dental hygiene tips for North Dakota adults ages 65 and older.
- Protecting the Smiles of our Indigenous Children | This infographic provides oral health hygiene tips for students in grades K-5.
- Indigenous Teen Dental Habits to Promote Social, Physical, and Mental Health | This infographic provides oral health hygiene tips for students in middle and high school.
- Healthy Baby, Healthy Smile | This infographic demonstrates the dos and don'ts of protecting your baby's teeth and gums.
- Maintaining a Healthy Adult Smile and Setting an Example for Indigenous Youth | Infographic
- Protect the Health of You and Your Tribe Through Good Dental Hygiene | Infographic
- Protecting Oral Tradition by Promoting Oral Health Among Our Elders | Infographic